Geek.Kon Forums

Forums for geekkon.net
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:58 am 
This rank has way too long a name cause I could not think of anything else...

I'm sure you want to rant about something that occured at Geek.Kon or about your overall experience this would be one of the many places to do it...

The Good:

-The Roast of the DBZ movie...
-Masquerade (although I miss the sarcasm put into it at NBC)
-The "Are you a werewolf?" game
-LOTS OF HUGS!
-RB Tourney went really smoothly (or so I think)
-I met a couple of awesome chicks and made lots of other friends too (Facebook: Derek Fuerstenberg http://tinyurl.com/yj6mg6u here's my facebook in case you want to friend me.)
-The LAN
-Overall usual EPIC WIN of cons

The Bad:

-My Bass Pedal was broken!
-Con going 24/7 means I got less sleep
-I had homework to go do after the con
-Masquerade wasn't as humorous as I was hoping

The Ugly:

-The guy who wore a french maid costume, not the guy himself but just the fact that he was wearing a french maid costume.
-The DBZ movie itself, well this needs no explanation
-When the dude threw up from having played so much DDR

Overall it was a great con and well, volunteering was tiring to an extent but overall I had lots of fun!

The sad thing is though I may/ probably will not be able to go to the con next year :(. If all works out properly I might be in a foreign country doing foreign exchange for the year so, :( that will be sad knowing I missed out on so much fun!

Now, hmm now the question is Daishocon and NBC this year; Can I afford to go, and can I even physically go? Those are the questions in pursuit of being answered.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:53 pm 
Kon Staff

PSN ID: firstagentadam
Yes, Dragonbald was amazing.

Thanks so much for helping me out with the guy who got sick in the DDR tournament. It wasn't that he played too much; it's that both he and his opponent selected really insane songs in the first round. Thanks to you and Chief, he was taken care of without interrupting the tournament.

As for the masquerade, I'm glad you liked it. We made a decision to treat the contest with a certain reverence to make sure the emphasis was on the costumes and not on the MC. I'll work on being a little more chatty to help pace things a little better, but I neither want to be nor should be the center of attention.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:05 pm 

1stAgent wrote:
Thanks so much for helping me out with the guy who got sick in the DDR tournament. It wasn't that he played too much; it's that both he and his opponent selected really insane songs in the first round. Thanks to you and Chief, he was taken care of without interrupting the tournament.

No problem, and well 3 really insane songs in a row causing throwing up is dumbed down to "too much DDR" IMHO so >.> hence why I used that in my summarized list... I could've said "When the guy threw up from playing a totally insane song on DDR and winning then playing a second insane song and losing and then playing a third insane song for the tiebreaker" but that wouldn't have worked with the format I wanted...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:57 pm 
Established Geek.Kon Nut

Honestly, I did not have as good of a time as I did last year. It (or I or whatever) was just 'off'. Seriously. Most of Friday I just wanted to cry (which is no one's fault but my own!). Short and sweet, I fail at time management.

My weekend was full of lots of FAIL, but it had its bright spots. I'm still happy I came to hang out with my friends I never see. Also, I finally did a stand-alone panel. I'm hoping that perhaps next year I'll run two photography panels. And that things will click for me better, ie not saving everything till the end and rushing and etc. Same drill, different day.

Positives:
* My friends and I got to be in pictures with the bride that had hotel suite or something like that in the Sheraton. How random/awesome is that?
* There are others but my brain hurts/doesn't work as I got home at 8:30ish, had to try to go to sleep since I had to be up at 3:30am for work.

And Derek, I agree about the strange frenchmaid meets rocky horror? outfit. Um, k. Didn't help my weekend. Made for an awkward photo on Friday night.

didn't i my dear?

http://bluetie.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:15 pm 
Poking Around

I had a pretty great first Geek.Kon, other then the obvious stressing that occurred early in the weekend.

I didn't get to see anything but the Cosplay contest though and since that's all I ever come for anyway, that was no big deal. I had a great time seeing about a dozen people I never get to see any other time of the year, and they're the best.

This was my fourth convention that I've worked at, and I have to say that the staff were doing about as well as anyone could have possibly hoped for. I think they'll be even better next year, and I can't wait to see.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:13 pm 
Rope

I thought it was awesome. I met a bunch of people, ran into someone from a club I'm in, and overall it was just a really fun experience. So much better than last year where I felt kind of lost (first kon ever, and by myself...though, I was by myself this year, but I'd say I've changed a little since then). oh, and I even got a few hugs. lol.

Also, my costume didn't fall apart! I'd say that my first costume (and first sewing project) was a great success. Further more, I managed to not kill myself for the duration of the con with my getta (steps are evil!). If I end up going to NoBrand con, I'll probably wear it again (though, hopefully I'll make a new costume for Nobrand con as well).

The bad....well, I wouldn't have minded talking with a few more people, but...I really have no complaints.

The ugly....fortunately, I didn't witness any of the above events. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:32 pm 
You are 15 going on 16...

Last year's Geek.Kon was wasn't too great of an experience (most not at all the con's fault!), but a couple of bright points made me try again this year and I have to say I'm very glad I did.

The good would be connecting with friends I only see at conventions, meeting new friends, working with the cosplay event and the general atmosphere of "con community".

The bad...not enough hours in a day to both talk and sleep? Oh, and driving three hours when exhausted.

Thankfully the drive was smooth so I don't have anything ugly to report.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:02 am 
Not A Minor Poster Anymore!

The Good:

If last year was a 6, this year was an 11.

To be honest, I had heard a lot of negative things about last years Geekkon from people, ranging from simply hating the location to being bored as hell. Some people I had talked to had said they "would try for a day, but weren't looking forward to it."

BUT BUT BUT

Those same people ended up staying for the weekend and loved this years Geekkon!

((I am so very proud of Madison's first anime//geek//steampunk convention~))

Everything from the location, to the vendors room to the number of (awesome) people actually cosplaying, and just the over all much more "official" or "legitmate" convention feel was far better than the year before.

My studio and I felt so welcome by both staff, other vendors//artists and attendees, we loved hearing all about people's different lives and interests and just meeting new people in general. ^.^

The Bad//Eh:

The only really negative points was the organization of room//space for the artists alley, although this is a very minut and (technical?) point. It seems like it would have been better suited that the artists alley and vendors room were located closer to each other. Although my studio and I were located in the vendors room this year around, I had several people ask "Where's the artists alley?" And not all recent arrivals either.

Oh and the vendors room closed much much much too early in my opinion, especially for a 24hr con. :/

OTHER THAN THAT:

Geekkon was awesome this year, a real improvement from last year, I left genuinely missing a lot of people and the over all atmosphere and buzz that you get when you're at a con. Haha, a sort of "post-con depression" if you will :-P

A big thanks to the Geekkon staff and volunteers!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:10 pm 
Hellraiser

PSN ID: Rohon1
XBox Live ID: Rohon1
Garglenutz wrote:

You can buy cookies for the staff if you want to! It would not be that much as there are only 15 of us! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:12 pm 
Kon Staff

PSN ID: whiteharu37
Red wrote:
Garglenutz wrote:

You can buy cookies for the staff if you want to! It would not be that much as there are only 15 of us! :)

You say that, but we eat a LOT.

Also......it would be nice if next year there were more than 15 of us......

*nudge to everyone wondering what they can do to help out*

"Where in the Nine Hells did you ever get the notion I would fight fair?" --Drizzt Do'Urden (The Crystal Shard)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:22 pm 
I post many things

Mwahahaha, join up and we'll own your soul...

I mean, yes, do join Geek.Kon staff! We're a bunch of fun-loving people who could really use any help you want to give, and we promise not to eat your soul or any other part of your existence.

(No, seriously, guys...if you want to help out the con, do consider joining staff. We can really use the help, and it's awesome!)

And, so as to not be off-topic, as for my Geek.Kon experience:
...uh, so, 6 hours of sleep in a 72-hour time span really isn't the greatest idea. xP But it was good, because I saw a whole lot of people having fun, and that totally made the work worthwhile.

I would like to say thanks to all of our intrepid staffers and volunteers, without whom this totally wouldn't have happened. I <3 you all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:36 pm 
Kon Staff

Since you guys mentioned joining the staff... Is the next staff meeting this sunday already?? :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:32 pm 
Kon Staff

Yes! It is!

We never stop working to make Geek.Kon awesome!!!!

"Where in the Nine Hells did you ever get the notion I would fight fair?" --Drizzt Do'Urden (The Crystal Shard)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:00 pm 
Kon Staff

Though that's going to mostly be staff post-mortem, so you could probably give yourself a week or two.

Co-Head of Costuming - 2014
Ask me about Costume Con in Madison!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:05 pm 
What, 10 already?

The Good - That Rock Band tourney was pretty amazing =DDDD
I loved everyones costumes too!
For my first con It was so cool :] I cant wait to come back next year!

The Bad - I either lost or got my copys of Lego Batman / Pure (2 disc pack) and my copy of The Orange box stolen from our room :/ Those housekeeping people seemed kinda fishy.
Walking all the way to CitCo at 11 at night, to find out they were closed :/ we just wanted milk for our cereal

The Ugly - Captain planet kinda scared me though haha.
For the last time, WE DO NOT WANT FREE ROOTBEER! Hahah :]

Cosplay.com
Youtube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:26 pm 

hanako.noriko wrote:
Red wrote:
Garglenutz wrote:

You say that, but we eat a LOT.

Also......it would be nice if next year there were more than 15 of us......

*nudge to everyone wondering what they can do to help out*

I'd love to join, but there are 2 problems.

1. I'm 16, I doubt that it's a problem since you let me volunteer but just restating the obvious.

2. I might be living in a foreign country (probably one of these: Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, France or Belgium).

If the latter of the two is true (I hope it's Japan in which case) then well I obviously wouldn't be able to be here to help >.>

So yeah maybe 2010?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:01 pm 
New to this world

Finalkingdom13 wrote:

get out, that captain planet was amazing and the sprecher's was delicious :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:30 pm 
What, 10 already?

derkl wrote:
Finalkingdom13 wrote:

get out, that captain planet was amazing and the sprecher's was delicious :|

the costume was good, the guy asked me to rubb his legs cause he just shaved uhm, it was kinda weird :/

Cosplay.com
Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:22 am 
Kon Staff

DemonicDerek wrote:

I'd love to join, but there are 2 problems.

1. I'm 16, I doubt that it's a problem since you let me volunteer but just restating the obvious.

So yeah maybe 2010?

You are the freaking volunteer of the freaking year!!!

I think we'd definitely consider whether or not you could join staff even though you're not 18 yet. It's something that I'll at least bring up. You helped us out SO much...I think you deserve something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:04 am 
Rope

The Good: I'm a loser and spent all 3 days in the LAN room creating carnage and exploding bodies on Unreal Tournament, Halo, and a little but not as much on Battlefield 2. I did however really get the hang of flying the helicopter after about 3-4 crashes, haha.

The Bad: I'm still a loser and therefor left the LAN room about a total of 10 or so times the entire con. Eyes literally glued to the screen. I missed out on a lot of cool events I see.

The Ugly: Nothing I can think of really except my friends baby waking up and them not being around so I had a cranky baby to tend to. :P Awesome baby though. :D Lol

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next